- Gertrude Scott Smith (1880-1958) taught in the West Aurora Schools for forty-six years.
- She first taught at the Oak Street School (later named for Mary A. Todd).
- Then, she was appointed principal of the South Lake Street School (later named the Abraham Lincoln School).
- Scott then transferred to West Aurora High School where she taught mathematics, and served as assistant principal and dean of girls.
- She was described as having “an indomitable faith and belief in almost everybody, and this was the source of her wise and friendly counsel that inspired, encouraged and endeared her many students.”
Gertrude scott smith
West Aurora Teacher & Administrator (1900-1946)
Smith Elementary School
1331 Robinwood Dr, Aurora, IL 60506